2. Since this is volume 84 of the Wednesday Hodgepodge, and since I got married in 1984, and since I'm attending a wedding this weekend it only seems right to post something related here.
"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other or ever so similar beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."
Agree or Disagree. Why? I don't know. I mostly feel that happiness is a choice rather than a matter of chance. Then again, there are those people in our lives who stand in the way of our happiness or at least try to. Some who even make us unhappy. I suppose foreknowledge of a person would send you into the marriage with your eyes open and then, as time went on, you would either still be fine with his/her 'defects' or not so there would be a chance that you would or would not be happy. Then again, I guess being lucky enough to find your true love, your soul mate, would tend to make their 'defects' not near as noticeable---like a defense mechanism--to protect yourself from not being happy with them. I think the only way we can know as little as possible about their defects is by turning a blind eye and deaf ear to the other person and, in all honesty, who wants to live like that? Of course, to be fair you have to take into consideration the time period about which Austen was writing and the character who said it...sorry---this response is confusing and too long.
3. Do you like to dance? Have you ever taken dance lessons?I took ballet and tap and jazz when I was a kid and teenager. And I do love to dance- but mainly just around the house by myself. Breezy, Deanie and I used to shag (that's a dance y'all) when they were growing up and we still will do it given a wedding or something. But I never dance with the husband. He's not a dancer and I don't like dancing with him.
4. Fresh from the oven peach pie or home made peach ice cream? Pick one. I'll take the ice cream. We don't do peach pie around here. It's peach cobbler!
5. Should people accept unfairness and learn to make the best of it? How will injustices be corrected if we just sit around and accept that things are not fair? When something is unfair, we have to speak out and take action and get it changed. I could write an entire dissertation on this topic but I'll spare everyone--since I didn't spare y'all on the Jane Austen question.
6. The top five all time summer movie blockbusters (released between May and August and grossing at least 100 million dollars) are-Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars (the original), Ghostbusters, and ET. Which one's your favorite? Even though I really enjoyed all of those, I'm going with Star Wars!
7. If given the chance, would you like to visit the moon?If they can just beam me up there, Scotty. But not if I have to take a spaceship. I'm just too chicken for that.
8. Insert your own random thought here. The OPPRESSIVE heat has fried my brain. I have no thoughts. Just see my response to question number 2. It got pretty random. And muddled. And may just be proof positive that the heat has, indeed, fried my brain.
- Do you exercise? Goodness yes! Every single day, rain or shine, motivated or not!
- What's your favorite type of party or get together? I LOVE our oyster roasts! But, regardless of the occasion, I only enjoy very casual gatherings. I am not fancy and I do not like to get dressed up.
- What's your favorite kind of melon? Watermelon!!!
- Do you ever go to a farmers' market? YES! The best one around here is every Saturday downtown Charleston! It's fabulous!
- Would you prefer a series of day trips, or a week's vacation? Neither. I'll just stay home thank you. But, if I must choose one- I'll take a series of day trips. I really like my bed.
Have a great Hump Day! The weekend is nearly here!
And don't forget about the giveaways! Just click on the buttons at the top of my sidebar to enter one or both!